Friday, September 30, 2011

FIRST BOSS-UNTOLD STORY

BIKASH CHOUDHURY




Just like first wife,first boss always play a defining role in the life of a professional.15th of May in 1990, I received the appointment letter from a Delhi based office automation company at Bhubaneswar after pipping a few MBA's to the job.I was feeling happy and lucky and excited to land the first job just after post graduation result was out in the morning;effectively,avoiding the trial & tribulations for not being un-employed for even a day.The very next day I was supposed to report for work;reached the office on time. The branch manager,
Mr.Kapoor formally welcomed me to the organization and introduced me to to other officers and staffs and all shared sweets carried by me followed by a round of tea.Mr.Kapoor quickly draw up a seven days induction plan for me and gave some reading materials to see at home at leisure. Mr.Kapoor later said, " we are done for the day and have a very important engagement" and left in a hurry with instruction to one colleague to take care of me.Mr.Das, a member of Marketing team approached me and asked to join him;eventually landed near a temple in the middle of the city of Bhubaneswar.I had no clue then what was in store;but, confidently floated along.Suddenly, Mr.Kapoor resurfaced near the temple with a stout, handsome person and said "this is PKB,the smartest marketing person of team Bhubaneswar" smiled at him and had a warm hand sake;found him a very affectionate & humorous person. He formally invited me to his marriage to be performed at the Temple and for the reception in the evening at Keniel Worth Hotel.Little later, Mr.Kapoor and other few colleagues took me to a nearby shop under a Banyan Tree where a few other invitees were enjoying themselves with some drinks(much later ,I came to know that was concoction of sugarcane juice & Old Monk Rum;an invention of Mr.Kapoor).After sipping a few pecs of the drink Mr. Kapoor looked at me and said "Bikash, do you take drinks? for got to ask you in the interview".I replied in the negative and he interjected in a slow voice "people who don't drink not good for marketing job".As usual, first day on the job, I was completely taken aback;but, he put his hand on my shoulder to reassure me-not to worry; "Dhire Dhire Seekh Jayega".Again we all met in the evening at the reception and talked about life, living, business and pleasure with a lot of good food and drinks( soups & cola).Felt very nice to get lot of attention from the new colleagues and from a few good looking guests from the opposite sex;I being the only eligible bachelor colleague of the groom.
Next day my induction program started in right earnest with product knowledge,competitive landscape, sales and marketing.I found Mr. Kapoor to be an excellent trainer that left an indelible mark on my psyche.Then, I took the job as fish to water.Over a period of time forged a very close relationship with Mr. Kapoor both at professional and personal level and immensely benefited.Inherited the love of books and pens from Mr. Kapoor and learned to respect the competitors and how to work hard and play harder.Missed him when he left the organization to start his own business;remained a close confidant for a long long time.The replacement of Mr. Kapoor came from regional office at Calcutta,a lateral entrant in the company from a photo copier Industry;Mr. Mittal was a very incompetent manager without vision and with very little common sense;he soon failed out with his number two-PKB and subsequently sacked by the company for some of his omissions & commissions plus a memorandum of officers and staffs led by me on larger interest of the organization.Mr. Srivastav flew down from Hyderabad office to take over the operations at Bhubaneswar;he was a very charming person with potential of being a head turner;apart from being an ace sales person and dynamic manager;who later took the organisation to greater heights in short time.Mrs Srivastava was a equally good & gracious host and with impeccable culinary skills.The Team Bhubaneswar outperformed with the help of a manger par excellence and gastronomic delights with a few friendly cricket matches thrown in between.Came to conclusion that to become good manger no need for a IIT-IIM tag;but, a lot of common sense.And, to become a good leader you need to have a Vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment