Saturday, November 7, 2009

My Delhi Diary

Bikash Choudhury


Day-I There was a Assocham conference in Delhi on 4th Nov 2009 booked my ticket and prepared to get away from Bhubaneswar for some time to get fresh perspective about work and life. Neelachal express was on time on 2nd Nov.- Karthika Purnima full moon day, a very auspicious day for all Oriya people. My wife Suman and close friend Sibasis came to see me off at the station. And, Off I went boarded the train B-2 compartment of 3AC and occupied my lower berth. The middle berth person booked through Tathkal did not turn-up and therefore I was left to enjoy the perks of two berths. My 125 kg (lean body) perched comfortably in the berth and started looking out to get familiar with people and hunt if any pretty faces around? All were oldie type; therefore I concentrated on my official reading matter and magazine purchased from the station. While reaching Delhi, the train got late by four and half hours, arrived at Delhi at 10 in the evening, unearthly hour for an infrequent visitor to the metropolis, because this vulnerability earn Coolly, Taxi driver and Hotel staffs a very fast buck. One smart taxi driver suddenly came from the back and gave one irresistible offer to drop at Hotel @ Rs. 10. I looked at the guy and agreed. Only wondered, too good to be true. Still managed to reach a decent hotel and the hotel staff at the counter, first demanded an Identity proof; without any hassle gave my PAN card, after having a look at my face and the card, again, he asked for an address proof; after, 30 hrs journey had very little patience left to argue with him. Unintentionally drawing a big face offered my DL and surprisingly the man made a photo copy of the DL and kept in the file. First time in life some body is silently questioning that I could, too be passed off as criminal in spite of my innocent looking face of 42 years. Having completed the formalities rushed to occupy the room and then again ran out immediately to have a smoke out side the hotel to refill Nicotine. By this time stomach was burning with desire to have food and mind was searching for the taste of infamous Paharganj delicacy. After a few enquiry, located one Sardar run forty year old Hotel U-like in Chuna market adjacent to my hotel. Officially, I am supposed to be a vegetarian to shed flab as per unwritten mou with wife & family. But, the aroma of Non-Vegetarian food was filled in the Dhaba and was too much of a test of abstination. I gave in to my taste buds and ordered for Mutton Kimma Masala and Tangri Kabab with Butter Nan accompanied by cut Onions and mint chutney. The first connect of food with mouth sent a pleasant current of 440 volt inside the body and in a desire to eat fast, end up in burning the top roof inside the mouth. However, the experience was exhilarating and beyond words. After a good meal every smoker would be desperate to have a fag to relish the food little more. Did the same- Ditto after returning to the room lying down on the bed resting at the back and swirling the smoke, enjoying every bit of the experience while looking at the Cigarette packet with new graphic-Tobacco cause cancer and Kill. Wondering, if any guarantee of eternal life without smoking? Gone to bed with recent book of Chetan Bhagat Two States, on that page “while Annanya, the girl friend of Krish suddenly announcing break up with him for humiliation heaped on her parents by Kris’s mother”. Slept off thinking about poor Kris and her girl friend sadly being whipped up by their respective parents who otherwise, profess and claim limitless love for their own offspring but heaping misery on the love struck couple on the issue of North Indian vis-à-vis Tamilian? Why society is so much against Love? While Love is the bed rock for new creation of life and continuation of our civilization!

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment