Tuesday, July 18, 2017

CHANGING SOCIAL TRENDS


Bikash Choudhury



One humid Sunday morning my better half announced barely getting out of bed; today is the house cleaning Sunday and I have asked Laxmi our maid to thoroughly clean every nook and corner of our 2bhk rented home. I new already what is coming next; “park yourself outside and manage your breakfast outside of home”. No wonder, near Master Canteen Square, our Desi Jantarmantar of Delhi where protesters pitch their tents; you will find a tent for “Men’s Protection Commission” to protect men from abuse and domestic violence from their wives. As instructed after completing the morning chores; parked myself at a completely unoccupied corner of Idli Bhawan—a near by South Indian Restaurant in Patia; while fondly remembering my days in Chennai Besant Nagar Beach on Sunday Morning followed by steaming hot Sambar Idli at Maharaja Restaurant at Adyar. While rummaging through memories one call came and due to poor signal I had to troupe out to attend the call; by the time I returned to my seat, I found them occupied by two young IT working couple. I politely told them that since they have occupied my place; I have to occupy the vacant seat in front of them. They nodded in agreement; soon after my order of Onion Dosa was served and I fed my hungry stomach slowly taking the taste of very soft Idli with hot Sambar and Coconut Chutteny. After some time the couple was served with Dosa and Idli and without caring for a stranger sitting in a hitting distance; they started feeding each other alternatively. I felt little uncomfortable initially; gained composure later and as usual I ordered a Mini Coffee to seal my breakfast with the freshly brewed South Indian Coffee which I enjoyed in the company of this young couple; while, reasoning inside that the “Public Display of Affection” by young people of SMART PHONE ERA is too common to be even mentioned; if you have read “Half a Girl Friend” by Chetan Bhagat or any of his novels; then, you would have received a degree in romance in the annual convocation. I was actually romancing about the changing social trends happening in front of our eyes without being noticed or aware of. Because, I have seen my grand parents not addressing each other by their names in private; forget about even standing in one frame in public. However, they have sired 6 off springs in my father and his three brothers and two sisters. While, I have observed my father calling my mother by her maiden name “Lochan” and he was progressive enough to go to Rotary Club on weekends in Angul town accompanied by my mother in Copper Sulphate Ladies Coat with golden stripes and they used to interact like friends in private. After my marriage I gave my wife a new home name- “Suman” and privately call her “dear” which she reciprocates. Dress codes have changed drastically in three generation; my grand father used to wear only Dhoti & Kurta and Grand Mother adorned Saree with Pallus covering the head in contrast my father changed into trousers and shirts, in winter he puts on a Blazer; while my mother used Sarees only, however, the color scheme and textures of sarees were more flamboyant and Pallus stayed on the head, in front of elders only. Now a days my Bhavi window shops in Palazios with only one inch deep make up driving a big hole in my brother’s wallet, my wife slips into western attires making neighbor’s envy and owner’s pride palpable and my younger brother’s wife who is tall and beautiful as good as Hollywood Divas; some times, post her images in FB/what’s App in austentious western garments to say it loudly—hey, I have arrived in America making our desi women folk in town go red in little jealousy. Now, our nephew’s and nieces order designer dresses and dance for hours in Baratis without any eye bros being raised; while, family gives tacit consent for love marriages within and outside castes; which was strictly no-no a few years earlier. This can’t just be the story of my extended family alone; that’s pretty much the trend in our contemporary society of our class-middle one. So, public display of affection is a non-issue and a vital part of our changing social trend. What you say readers?     

No comments:

Post a Comment