Saturday, July 16, 2011

First Time Flier

Bikash Choudhury



Six years ago took the first flight in life to attend a training program at Mumbai; we flew by an Indian Airlines aircraft from Chennai in a group of five- new recruits of the company. I was a green horn in travelling by air and therefore, left the responsibility of transporting us by air to the junior most colleague who had some past experience and we dutifully and very obediently followed his instruction such as screening luggage & handbag, putting the address tag, collecting the boarding pass and proceeding for security check and then craning ones neck for further announcement for boarding the aircraft and occupying the allotted seat; after taking the seat I actually heaved a sigh of relief with a thought, as if nobody has recognised me as a first time flier courtesy our junior colleague, only in age. Now, on 10 of July 2011 when I took a flight to Delhi for some urgent business (some friends joked, if I was going for my swearing in; cabinet reshuffle having scheduled for the day next.), I was trying to recall my first ever experience of travelling by air; but, nothing of importance came to my mind then. I therefore quietly observed how people are going about their itinerary at the airport. Then after some time gained courage to complete the necessary formalities and took a corner seat in the lobby before boarding the aircraft. I wish nobody should identify once again as a first time flier; but, alas our human face most of the time give away a lot of information about our state of mind without any provocation. In that vantage point in the corner seat of lobby I was able to see all the passengers of BBI-Del flight and able to identify all most all the first timers who are negotiating their steps inside the airport with caution and in each step they were trying to reassure themselves that their flight won’t leave without taking them on board and in nervousness taking unusual numbers of sojourn to the wash area, making sure, apparently, nothing unusual happens in the aircraft in the midair as there was no provision to stop the aircraft in midair to attend natures call.While taking the boarding pass, I acted little smart and arranged a window seat at the emergency doors which has little more leg space which is very comfortable for a six feet tall person like me. As the announcement for boarding the aircraft went I quietly took the bus and emplaned for New Delhi in that window seat of mine. Soon after, a beautiful and young hostess came and very politely briefed me how to use the emergency door when asked to. I remain seated with thoughts flooding in the mind about my activity at Delhi and worry to find the address of my host in the city. In the mean time there was announcement in the public address system of the aircraft about the takeoff from the commander of the aircraft. Soon our aircraft took to the skies just above the serpentine course of “Daya” river and green and beautiful Bhubaneswar city; when the aircraft climbed about thirty thousand feet and started to cruise, I saw millions of cloud formation flying past the aircraft in pure white colour which could have a feast for a painter; ordinary soul like me could only freeze the frame in mind’s eye for life Cunningly, I had nearly starved myself in the airport to enjoy the free launch at thirty thousand feet; did have a bite at a big sandwich @ cost of hundred fifty rupees, which was worth it keeping in view the taste and place. I bought a cup of coffee @ fifty bucks and savoured the process of preparing coffee at thirty thousand feets above ground which tasted very strong in the company of white clouds. One hour fifty minutes passed off so easily! It was time for the plane to descend on Delhi at T-3 terminal and it was a perfect landing in a cloudy climate (it was a Kingfisher bird, give credit wherever it is due); happy to be in time to resume the task ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment